COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
Which quarter can I defer to?
Deferrals for CEN MS students will be granted for up to one academic year. Quarter options include: Winter 2021, Spring 2021 or Fall 2021.
What is the process for deferring my admissions?
Deferral request are due August 13th. All requests need to be submitted by completing the Deferment Request Form.
Do I need to accept my admission offer to Fall 2020 prior to submitting a deferral request?
Yes, you need to accept your admission offer prior to submitting a deferral form.
If I have already received an I-20 for Fall 2020 and I defer, will I receive an updated I-20?
Yes, if you choose to defer admission, your current Fall 2020 I-20 will become invalid. You will receive an updated I-20 as soon as available, once the deferral process has been completed.
- When does fall registration begin?
What courses will I be able to register for?
CEN is a program under the CS and EE department. Student may enroll in approved courses in both CS or EE.
Will I be able to take UCR courses remotely without a visa?
A visa is not required to enroll in courses remotely.
Do I have to pay full tuition for classes taught remotely?
If you enroll as a regular UCR student, then you are responsible for paying full tuition and fees. However, you have the option to enroll through UCR Extension, via OUP and transfer up to 8 units (2 classes) at a reduced tuition rate. *We are currently working on an option to enable the transfer of a third class (a total of 12 units, during current pandemic conditions), and will inform you if and when this option becomes available. Online University Program (OUP)
If I am planning to take graduate-level coursework while in my country, will they count towards my MS degree?
Yes, a maximum of 8 quarter units from institutions outside the University of California may be counted toward your degree at UCR.
What is the policy on transferring courses?
Course Transfer Policy –
- Courses need to be equivalent to courses offered in our CS or EE departments. Submission of syllabus and transcript are required to determine course equivalency
- Minimum grade of B or above
- Units cannot be transferred from a program from which the student received a degree
- Only unit credit is posted on the UCR transcript (Grades are not transferred)
When do I need to submit my official documents?
Deadlines for required documents will depend on the term in which you defer your admission to. Fall 2020 incoming students needing to submit official documents will now have until the end of October to submit required official documents for Fall 2020. Given campus closures and travel restrictions, the preferred choice of submitting official transcripts or proof of degrees is electronic, if available.
Is employment such as, TA ships and GSR’s offered to MS students in the department?
The program is self-supporting, TA ships and GSR’s are rarely offered to MS students.
Will F-1 students be eligible for CPT in summer if they defer to a future quarter?
- Must be in valid F-1 status
- Must have completed one academic year (3 academic quarters) as a full-time student
- Must currently be enrolled in a full-course load of study (with the exception of the summer)
- Must be enrolled in an internship course assigned by your Graduate Advisor