Computing is at the heart of the digital information revolution that is reshaping our world. Computer Engineering is the science and technology behind the design and implementation of the hardware and software systems, big and small, that are powering this revolution. These systems include the computers that we interact with directly in our laptops, desktops and smart phones, those in data centers making up the cloud, and the numerous invisible microcontrollers in each car and plane, to Internet of Things that integrates computing in every aspect of our life.
At the UCR Computer Engineer program, our research explores how to build faster, more energy efficient, smaller, more secure and more reliable computing systems, from transistors and circuits, to computer architecture and networked systems covering both the hardware as well as the software aspects of these systems.
We invite you to explore our research areas below.
Compilers and Software Systems
- Developing new compilers and operating software system
- Developing program analyses techniques, especially for quality assurance
- Innovating modern computing architecture that is optimal while keeping up with evolving applications
- Designing processors, GPUs, accelerators, memory and storage systems
Digital Design and Design Automation
- Facilitating the complex design of reliable, high-performing and low-power modern chips at scale
- Leveraging the use of algorithms and techniques
Embedded and Real-Time Systems
- Exploring issues of computing design for real-life applications
- Designing processors that respond in real-time to maximize safety
- Working with a large system of computers to break down large problems
- Leveraging highly parallel computational clusters and data centers
- Analyzing the hardware, software, programming models and algorithms